Sharing your ride with just one other person reduces your commuting expenses by almost half, potentially saving you thousands of dollars each year. It’s one reason ridesharing is such a popular form of alternative transportation, especially in areas where public transit is not available. But ridesharing is also a great way to meet new people, reduce traffic congestion and help the environment. Car pooling and van pooling are the main ways people share rides.
The following ridesharing programs are available statewide:
- CommuteInfo: offers various options, including car pooling, van pooling and bike pooling for work and school trips made by commuters traveling to or from Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington, and Westmoreland counties.
- Commuter Services of Pennsylvania: offers car pool, van pool, walking and other options for Adams, Berks, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry, and York counties.
- Share-A-Ride: offers car pool, van pool and other options in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties.
- CATACOMMUTE: offers car pool, van pool and other options in Blair, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Lycoming, Mifflin, Snyder, and Union counties.
- Lehigh Valley Commute Rideshare: offers car pool and other options in Carbon, Lehigh, and Northampton counties.
Shared-Ride Transit Services in PA
Pennsylvania offers shared-ride, demand-responsive services for senior citizens. Learn more about the Shared-Ride Program.
Transportation Management Associations
There are nine Transportation Management Associations (TMAs) in Pennsylvania, operating out of the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh regions. They are tasked with promoting and implementing congestion reduction strategies, intermodalism, and are utilized as a means of meeting air quality standards. Many of these associations have community-based transportation services you can take advantage of.
Check out the car and van pooling sections below to see if your county offers ride matching and other options. Or visit your area’s TMA website for more information.
- Airport Corridor Transportation Association (ACTA)
- Transportation Management Association Bucks (TMA Bucks)
- Central Philadelphia TMA (CPTMA)
- Transportation Management Association of Chester County (TMACC)
- Delaware County Transportation Management Association (DCTMA)
- Oakland Transportation Management Association (OTMA)
- The Partnership Transportation Management Association of Montgomery County (The Partnership TMA)
- Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership TMA
- Greater Valley Forge Transportation Management Association (GVFTMA)