With some advance planning, starting your own car pool is easy. Below are tips and tools to help you plan a successful car pool.
Planning Your Car Pool
Car pools can be set up in many different ways. For example, you could arrange it so that:
- One person drives, and all passengers contribute to gas and parking.
- Participants alternate driving and do not exchange money.
- The driver picks up passengers at their homes.
- Participants meet at a central location like a park-and-ride lot.
Think about how you would prefer your car pool to work. Once you find other participants, you can then collectively make up the rules and determine the schedule. Learn more about how to get started.
Tips for a Successful Car Pool
- Establish a clear route and schedule, including pick-up points and meeting places.
- Decide if you will share driving responsibilities, or how you will share expenses.
- Always be punctual. Decide beforehand how long the driver is expected to wait for someone.
- Establish clear policies about smoking, music selection and volume and whether to allow food and drinks to be consumed in the car.
- Make your car pool serve a single purpose. For example, if it is for commuting to and from work, do not use it for private errands.
- Establish a chain of communication in case there is a change in the schedule.
- Have an alternate driver to ensure that other members of the car pool will have a ride if the scheduled driver can’t make it.
- Drive carefully and keep the vehicle clean and in good repair.