By leaving the car at home and choosing to walk more, you’re helping to make a healthier planet and a healthier you. Here are some of the many benefits of walking:
- It’s free: You pay nothing by walking, but gain a lot... starting with all of the money you will save on gas, parking and maintaining your car.
- It’s good for your health: Walking is a safe, low-impact exercise that will help you:
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and raise good (HDL) cholesterol
- Reduce risk of type 2 diabetes
- Lose or maintain weight
- Improve your mood
- Stay physically fit
- It’s good for the environment: One of the best ways you can help fight traffic congestion and air and noise pollution is to walk short distance trips instead of using your car. Walking more and driving less also reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming. Learn more about sustainable transportation.
- It helps your community: Walking allows you to interact with friends and neighbors in a way you’re not able to by sitting alone in your car. It helps create a safer and more interconnected community.